Sunday, June 17, 2007

This Father's Day




This Father's day weekend dad kept implying that he wanted a La Bamba hat and he said that if we get the hat he would grow a mustache just like him. For those of you who don't know who La Bamba is he is the trombone player on connan o'brian who is frequently joked about as being gay but is a happily married man with four kids. here is the real La Bomba and dad. the mustache is drawn in but dad is now working on it.

54 comments:

Amy F said...

Pictures requested. From the link you cited, I am completely unclear about WHICH had you got him... the Santa one? The round "gentleman's" hat? I'm personally hoping that it is the astronaut one.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to the Rawlest dad in the world.

farcles said...

You must have checked as I was making the post sorry about the confusion. for more about La amba look up richie La Bamba Rosenburg

Aaron Joseph said...

disturbing

Amy F said...

Dad... please do not grow a La Bamba mustache.

Amy F said...

But I think it's rawl that you pulled out the old trombone.

Mary Ann said...

This is way too cool. U should have ask me to send U the right stuff for a mustache, I did take stage, makeup and design and could have made U a cooler one. I LOVED IT................... Happy Fathers Day to all you Huckleberries on my side of the family. Allan when I come back out U have to play the trombone for me ok. And ware the hat .Happy Fathers day MATT, and Paul fancy pants. No fancy pants was not a mistake. just a lil KY. humor thats all.

Matt said...

Oh, that Kentucky humor. We need it. Oh, how we need it.

Dad, I wouldn't say that the picture is distubing (like A.J. said). I would actually say that you look rather distinguished, in a Mexican sort of way. This could be the new you.

paul said...

thank you for that ky humor mary ann. i'm a fan of ky...

conan's show is great. it is classic that you posed for a picture as la bamba. random and very funny.

Allan said...

You wouldn't believe it-the trombone case smelled musty, and the slide needed to be oiled really badly, but I could still play it. Once a nerd, always a nerd.

Amy F said...

So you are all going to laugh... but I thought farcles had posted 2 pictures of Mr. La Bamba. I had no inkling that the top one was actually dad.

Ha!

You totally got me, and I am amazed. Wow, dad. That's scary.

Seriously, I had no idea.

paul said...

amy isn't kidding. that's just sweet topping on a great post. mustache and all.

farcles said...

just wait 'till he has the mustache

Allan said...

Guess what I got to do today, everyone? I got to mow the lawn! Marc and Todd had to teach me how to run the old John Deere-a little embarrassing. I grew up driving tractors.
But--baby steps. I am trying not to be over optomistic because I have been disappointed so many times before. But, who knows? It has been 2 months!

Amy F said...

Two months is a long time for just about anything! Whoever thought mowing the lawn could be so fun!?!

When're you gonna start taking trombone lessons again??

farcles said...

you should have heard him play, it sounded as smooth as silk, now he needs to learn the conan theme song

Allan said...

Hey kids,
You should have been here tonight.
I grilled beef kabobs that had been marinaded in a lemon/soy/garlic sauce, with grilled bananas (no kidding) for dessert.
I have found my true calling in life. I can't believe I wasted all that time putting people to sleep. I could have done that any time, teaching the HP quorum.

Amy F said...

OK... go ahead and post the recipe. We want to try it!

Putting people to sleep is overrated.

Matt said...

Nothing runs like a Deere.

Check the Risenday's blog for your family callings. You all have a place.

Two months is awesome, but being able so sit on top of a hunk of powerfull, rolling steel and teach hundreds of thousands of blades of grass a lesson in the space of an hour is even better.

farcles said...

it was more like two hours, dad liked it so much he went over the lawn twice.

Amy F said...

Nice. I'm sure Marc and Todd were glad to see dad back on the mower again.

I wasn't kidding about the recipe???

Matt said...

Remember when Dad bought his first riding mower? I went from lawn boy to, "No, I'll mow. You can get the push mower and weed eater out and patch up the parts I missed," boy.

He would be out there for hours with his straw hat and Craftsman rider.

Amy F said...

Who says dad isn't a farm boy at heart??

Allan said...

Not much of a faarm boy here. You should see my garden. It has been a weed patch for at least five years, and it is amazing how fast the weeds want to grow back. Question, why do you have to continually torture and abuse weeds, and they grow like....weeds. But you have to nuture, water, and care for vegetable plants, and still half of them die.
And my lawn. I have some big dead patches, and another person told me today how to fix them. By the end of sumer myy lawn is going to have more chemicals in it than I do.

Matt said...

I got some advice on how to make my garden and lawn grow better. I sounds like lots of seeding, fertilizing, and working. One of these days, I will have it down. I am a beginner, that much is sure.

Mary Ann said...

2 months and counting, one day U will forget to count and not remember; that is the day I'm lookng forward 2. Grilled bananas sound GOOD. I fixed home made icecream for the first time with my new freezer Wes got me and it was yummy. When yall come home I will fix it for ya ok. Allan I can't wait to hear U play the trombone. When U come out Wes said U can drive his tractor and work the back hole, since there are a few acres here to drive on. Way 2 go. Amy I haven't forgotten U'r recpie. Toddus, have U found aa summer job? glad AJ U are working on a farm this summer even if it is Chelese Dad's . Good for U. The Amish are putting our hay lofts in sat. and Amber Haskel and her boy friend are coming over to ride the horses and visit. Oh Amber is getting married, coming to church every Sunday and paying her tithing and I am so proud of her. I miss U all so much. 2 bad we live so far east. Wes would put you guys 2 work here on the farm.

farcles said...

two months untill what?
its good that amber is going to church.

Amy F said...

Thanks, mom, for leaving a message for Michael on his birthday. I checked it and let him listen. It made him grin the whole time. He can't wait to come out to see you all.

farcles said...

when are you guys coming up?

paul said...

we are coming monday morning (july 16th?)

paul said...

does ajus have a boat picked out? is he working all week and we won't see him...:(

farcles said...

frandsen! that's two strikes for you mister.
I can't wait for you guys to come up, I didn't even know about this untill yesterday and what a pleasant suprise. I hope AJ will be here for the festivities as well.

farcles said...

actually for every post you go without beraking a rule you lose a strike. so frandsen you have one strike.

farcles said...

sorry

paul said...

Farc... don't you have any Rawl news to report from the scouting trip? Stories? Pictures, even??????

Come on... you gotta post something. It's July, already.

paul said...

amy made that last comment. i would not presume...

farcles said...

you guys are going to have to wait to get here to hear any stories and there really aren't that many great stories anyway. I will tell you some of the highlights with some spaces between them just like matt.





canoeing




bellly flop contests





camping in general.




sweet mcall fireworks





the best cafeteria food I have ever had.




shooting random passerbys with airsoft guns.




shooting each other with airsoft guns.





getting shot in the showers with airsoft guns.




getting airsoft guns taken away.





detenting a random tent.





a continuing rivalry with fruitland our neighboring school.




earning five merit badges.





and other stuff.

Amy F said...

Sweet. Scout camps rock... or so I hear.

I like the spaces. Very dramatic... once again.

Allan said...

Marc and Todd came back from scout camp thorouly exhausted, but with several necessary merit badges under their belts. Todd is getting really close to his Eagle. It makes me kind of sad that we didn't have a scouting program up and running in Maysville Branch for the rest of you guys. Looking back, we should have seen if we could have had you scout with another church in the area. There could have been multiple advantages to doing it that way.
Paul F., you would be proud. Marc and a couple of his friends did their 10 mile ride this AM, and so they only have the 25 mile ride to go for their biking badge. The troop was smart and did their 50 miler first.

Matt said...

Sweet scout camp. I went last year as a leader, and confiscated all airsoft guns before leaving the parking lot. One kid almost dissolved to tears when we took his cell phone. What are kids coming to?

Let the sweetness begin tomorrow. I can feel some airsoft wars coming on...

farcles said...

I will have you know that I still don't have a cell phone or plan on getting one intill I am an adult. airsoft guns build character.

Allan said...

Val and I had a great 29th celebration. We ate at Macaroni Grill for lunch and then went to a matinee of Ratatouille, and then went shopping at CostCo. Romatic, huh? Actually the movie is great and if you get a chance, the kids around us were laughing almost as hard as we were.
Matt is here, and we just drove around town in his new Caddie, I was wearing my LaBomba hat with dark glasses. The fun never stops.
By the way, next year is our 30th. It is time for you guys to start planning on a surprise for us, like a Hawaii vacation or something like that.

farcles said...

you'd like that wouldn't you.

Allan said...

You should have seen ua Saturday. Matt took me for a drive in his new Caddy. I wore my Labomba hat and dark glasses. We got pulled over by imigration, and they asked for our green cards.

Matt said...

The racial profiling associated with Cadillacs over 10 years old is absurd! Mine doesn't even have the stupid-looking extra small tires, dark tinted glass, or a big sticker in Gothic lettering that says "Diego".

Allan said...

Val's sister just sent her a new keychain. And guess what was on it? Right. Another dragonfly. Ahhhhh! The horror.

Allan said...

We had a really great Sacrament Mtg. today. A couple of our local Spanish Elders spoke, and a group of Hispanic and Anglo elders sang "I am a Child of God" in Spanish with a little child of a local convert family singing the first verse. Immigration is a huge problem with lots of perspectives, I know, but it was wonderful to see something positive for a change with all of the negative rhetoric and jingoism we hear all of gthe time.. We have a Spanish-speaking branch in our Stake which is almost completely composed of converts. They probably would have had no exposure to the Gospel if they had not moved here to work

paul said...

i love the image of the young hispanic girl singing with the hispanic elders. sounds nice.

we miss you guyz.

happy b-day farcles! michael was going to bed and he told me how happy farcles must be because today is his birthday.

i hope all your wildest dreams came true farky...

Allan said...

Have you heard that Mary Ann slaughtered a dog the other day? A waste of ammunition when there are so many cats around.

Allan said...

Sad news. The boys got their bike merit badge taken away because their was some suspected blood doping for their 50 mile trip. There has also been some suspected steroid use, but they refuse to pee in the cup. Also, they were extremely disappointed that there isn't a dogfighting merit badge. In addition, there been some merit badge councelors who have been caught betting on the future outcome of merit badge attempts and Eagle awards. The national BSA has been looking into these possible infractions.

Amy F said...

Sounds like a fiasco of epic proportions. Nothing like a scandal to get people interested, though.

Paul... did you honestly write "guy'z'"?? ????

So is Farc the proud owner of a learner's permit?? Too bad he couldn't take me for a spin when we were there. That would have been Rawl.

It would have been especially Rawl in the Caddie.

Matt said...

We can cruz in the Caddie during a post-Christmas visit, I am sure. Farcles will feel the raw, unadulterated power.

So.... where has good ol' Toddus been. I know he has been frying chicken, but is five minutes too much to ask. Then there is A.J. for that matter.

Hey, Dad, is your grass fire out yet?

Allan said...

Farc is out right now with Val to take his learners permit tests. He couldn't take it yesterday because he didn't have school records.
Our car insurance rates will going up $50/month. Somehow they think that a 1-year-old may pose an increased risk. Tuition, prom dresses, weddings, Christmas and birthday gifts. You guys have a lot to look forward to.
Todd is bringing home his first KFC paycheck tomorrow. He has been working a lot of double shifts because they are moving to a new building. I may have to borrow $$$ from him. He promises steep interest, however.
The grass fire was extinguished after several more drenchings, Matt. I may start it again if our neighbors yapping dogs don't shut up, however.

Amy F said...

Farc... we need a new post with some pontifications about your new driving experiences, and what it means to be a 15-year-old.

Todd... how about a few thoughts about KFC and what it means to work in a capitalist society?

AJ... what about the highs and lows of tipping in the restaurant sector of Boise?

Paul Michael... are you even alive?

Matt... life with a Caddie is __________ (fill in the blank).

Matt said...

fantabulous