Oh, Farc, you really came through this time. You must be so much more responsible now that you are 15... it seems that we can count on you to be a regular contributor to the blogging action of this family? ??? ?????
That cake brings back so many memories. My mouth is watering, and I have a craving. Perhaps I'll have to get the ingredients and invite some people over... because goodness knows I can't just make that whole monster for just us! Oooooohhhh... I think I just had a great idea!
Your permit picture is great! So much personality packed into just two square inches! Tell us how the "learning" is going.
Thanks for the new post... the LaBamba was getting a bit nauseating.
I don't have the real permit yet, that is just a piece of paper with all that stuff on it. the real permit is coming in the mail in a couple of days. yes the cake was quite scrumptious, I should have taken a picture of the enchiladas dad made. they were quite good too.
Amy I answered your question in the last post: Fantabulous
I did have to make a slight repair to the Caddie today (the first in a series of many) involving velcro and 5-minute epoxy.
My glove box has been acting up (broken latch), and when we set off a nice big explosion this morning, it must have knocked open the glove box and the light inside turned on and ran down my battery. Needless to say, that light will never turn on again...
Sorry matt, I have managed to thoroughly disgust myself with that picture. They decided to punish my need to be annoying by actually using it. As for KFC, I was in the back washing dishes one late night, when the whole irony of it hit me. It was almost as though I was going back to my roots by working at KFC. Oh and it is now KFC/Long John Silvers, so I come home, reeking of fish, shrimp, and flounder, along with the already pleasant smells of KFC. Dad and farcles stopped in to see me, and one of the first things dad did was curl his nose, lean in close to me, and whisper, "This place smells awful" with all the disgust he could muster.
So that is where I am at, and I will blog more for the sake of Amy's well being.
you should smell where todd works, it smells aweful. fish and fried food are not a good mixture. todd has to make sure he doesn't eat too much before he goes so he doesn't feel like ralphing the whole time he works. matt it's ok, just don't do it again.
i love farcles cheese on the color photo. only someone as happy as marc could muster that sort of smile after sitting in the dmv for hours waiting for his license...
Todd has been working hard, and sometimes the conditions are awful, and sometimes he comes home smelling like fish/chicken grease, but he really doesn't complain, and he has worked some extra shifts. He liked the $$$ when he finally got a check. He is going to set up and account, and learn to check. I think he is working too hard to spend it on someting friviolous. Marc has been earning some bucks doing some neighborhood yard/garden work. Today Marc and I went on a driving practice, and he did really good. Four-way stops, four-way gos, parking in an underground parking lot, parking in a busy grocery store, stop lights, experiencing how idiotic other people are (no signals, sudden lane changes, etc.). He is really cautious, which sometimes gets some dirty looks from other drivers, but we are certainly okay with that. Tonight we had a new experiment on the grill: dutch oven lasagna. Doesn't heat up the kitchen. It didn't reach Mom's high lasagna standards, but it was a fun change, and I didn't even overcook it. We don't have to tell the boys to go to bed now they are exhausted with f-ball practice.
Driving practice sure sounds fun. Aaaahhhh... fun memories of mom gripping the chicken bars and the side edge of her seat. I remember the first time I was honked at... I felt so extremely sheepish. Good thing that practice makes for better driving!
Todd... good job with being a responsible, working man. Bravo! Glad you've gotten that first check... you're already saving for your VALUABLE retirement money by paying your social security taxes (ha, ha...).
Any football stories/predictions for the team?? Hope both of you boys are getting the rest you need!
Mom was so tightly wound in the front seat when I was first driving that as I was going down Jersey Ridge, a bird took flight in a tree 20 feet away and she went rigid and started cursing at me while I tried to find out what I had done wrong.
Marc revealed to me the fact that he feels a little more comfortable driving with me because I don't seem as nervous as Mom does. It is kind of weird. Marc isn't able to drive unless he is with a licensed adult. My DL doesn't permit me to drive. So yesterday we were in a mutual dependency situation.
No, I would describe it more as an interaction between two different organisms living in close physical association, typically to the advantage of both.
Hey Marc, since you posted your full name, address, date of birth, and most of your driver's license number, I am going to make a valiant attempt to steal your identity.
I realized that after I wrote and it turns out she is a sottish school boy, so I left it. So after much deligation it has been decided, that she is definately a ladie.
Marc and I went out for driving lessons Saturday. We worked on some multi-lane roads, making left turns without stoplights, 4-way-stops, 4-way-gos, parking at Walmarc, and Home Depot on a busy day. We came to a conclusion that most drivers in this town are idiots, that they take a yellow light as a challenge, pedestrians don't have a chance, and bicyclers? What the heck are they doing on our roads? Marc did a great job, and only got a couple of rude hand gestures. This week we are going to work on parallel parking. Pray for us.
By the way, we just got a dsl upgrade which is amazingly fast, and we don't have to wait forever buffering your videos or to enlarge pictures, so for sure keep everything coming. I had a hard time convincing Val that we really absolutely needed something faster, but she sure loves the movies of the kids, so send more so I can prove that the faster speed was necessary. I downloaded "Plan Nine from Outer Space," the greatest Sci-fi movie of all time. The dialogue is unparalled, special effects: way ahead of their time. It has a beautiful character, "Vampira," who has something to do with the movie, but we haven't figured it out yet, but she is kind of cute in a vampirish sort of way. The movie has three aliens flying four space ships (obviously held up by strings) which make an amazing amout of noise although they are out in space. They are going to take over the world using special ionizing guns which affect the pituitary glands of recenty dead humans, bringing them back to life so that they can do their bidding, which seems to be to scare the heck ot of humans who are still alive. The aliens are doing all of this because the human race is on the verge of discovering a new weapon which threatens the destruction of the entire universe. Now that is one powerful weapon! If you enjoy great sci-fi you just have to get this movie. Or better yet-come and visit us and watch it with us.
I just finished HP #7! After all the hype I was a little disappointed, and I may have to go back and read a couple of the last chapters to get everything straight. A lot happened in just a few chapters. I thought that the last chapter was a nice touch. (Sniff, sniff)
I enjoyed it all, but I still think it is a bit of a "Lord of the Rings" rip-off. Gollum was much more fun than Dobby.
I was a little disappointed in the increasing vulgarity and drinking in the series, but boys will be boys, uh-huh?
I did appreciate Ms. Rawling, and how her books became more complex and interesting. Book seven started with action instead of the Hogwarts Express and house sorting again. I hope in the last movie they include the animated suits of armor. That is a fun image. And I loved MDougal's "Charge!"
We received a DVD with Alison's Brandstown pictures. I was a little disappointed. Not one picture of Grandpa Joe spinning out in his new car, or passing you guys on the way to Olive Garden, or the look of sheer terror on my face, Most pictures were sweet, sentamental pictures of Pat and his grandkids. There were a couple of goofy pictures of our family, mostly in the group shots. Only one picture of me--somehow someone got one of the distorted iPhoto pictures we made of me some time ago. I don't know how they got it, and what it had to do with or wonderful reunion. I am sure that none of you had anything to do with it. Maybe it was there to remind me of how much fun I was having.
AJ, Chelsea and I dropped Val off at Boise International yesterday for her week with Alison. Lots of fun. AJ left the lights on at the Macys parking while we were waiting for Chelsea to return some stuff, and ran our battery down. A couple of ladies came by in a Mercedes who had cables but they weren't long enough. Then a parking lot security guy came up to help. He didn't have cables, but said he had a jumper box "back at the office." We must have waited 15 min. for him to return, and he came back with lights flashing like he was chasing down terrorists or drug runners. Then after filling out a full page form with name, ID and license numbers, etc., declaring that I would not hold them responsible if they damaged my car while they gave our battery a jump, he finally got us going again.
Did anyone see the presidential debate last night?
Is it just me or is Romney the only one offering real solutions to real problems. Gullianni refuses to talk about anything but his "success" in New York... no actual plans for changing things. McCain is always stuck defending himself over the immigration bill. All the rest of the guys just talk about what America should be like, but don't explain how they plan to get there.
I wonder how many of Romney's $,$$$,$$$,$$$ are invested in oil? I am sick of Bush/Cheney oil connections, and the fact that oil company's have had record profits this past year. I will continue to be suspicious of a candidate who continues to support Bush's surge (mission not accomplished).
Newsweek had an article this week about bringing back the military draft. This father of three boys who could be affected by a draft gets very concerned about this war which is only solidified our perceptiion as the "Great Satan."
Do you think that leaving Iraq will make your boys safer in the long run? We all know that things are going to get worse and worse, but pulling out of Iraq seems like it would only speed up the process.
Worse and worse for who? Maybe I am a little naive, but it seems like we are just getting more and more involved in a tribal/religious civil war. Why do we have to be the world's policemen? Lots of ethnic wars going on in Africa, but whoops--no oil there. Do you really think that our efforts in Iraq have done anything to decrease the threat of terrorism? We sure have help spur their road-side bomb R and D.
Oh, I remember when you were just a little tyke. I would change your diaper... you loved baby powder... I'd sprinkle some on your cute little bottom... and you'd smile...
You sounded just like Dad talking about baby powder on Todd's little bottom.
A.J.,
I remember having to wipe your blblblbl after you went "stinky". Can you believe that?
It seems like I used to be the big brother, but now A.J., Todd and Marc are all so big, they are more like "friend" brothers than "little" brothers. You have probably had the same experience, Frandseypants. True?
Really, Matt?? Is THAT who I sounded like?? Seems like he remembers powdering all of our bottoms. Funny how I never remember having any baby powder in the house...
It is fun to see each of you little bros evolve into your own person. Makes me feel old, and I wonder where all the time has gone. Each of you is considerate, thoughtful, and smart. You are paving your own way, and I love to see your unique personalities do it in such different ways.
I have a feeling that some things will never change, though. The average age of the 5 of you drops back to Maysville times when you're all together. Case-in-point = Matt's "boys weekend" in July. How old is he?
What is so juvenile and wrong with a "boy's weekend"? I still have never flushed a toilet with my foot in it... Shooting each other with small plastic balls, gaming, fireworks and playing basketball and bongo are all healthy ways to unwind!
Here's a question that has been ruminating in my mind ever since the Pleasant Ridge Days.
Does anyone else remember this?? I went to mom and dad's bathroom, and... used it. When I went to flush, there was a dead bird in the water. No kidding. I hadn't looked before sitting. It made me sick to think I urinated on a dead bird.
But really... how in the lblblblb did that happen??? The window was closed. It was a pretty medium sized bird. I don't think it could have come up through the pipes. And I KNOW it didn't come from me.
Any ideas?? Engineering minds? I still have flashbacks and think about it often...
Too bad it was a bird--not a cute little kitten. But the bird in the toilet story is one of those quandaries we may never understand in this lifetime. Did one of our "funny boys" put it there? Is it possible for a dead bird to be in the house's plumbing and just pop (no, not poop) up? How could it have entered the plumbing system in the first place? Was the toilet seat down? Are you sure the windows were down? Even if a bird was somehow flying around the house and decided to have a little drink, why would that kill it? Dogs do it all the time. Questions, questions. Maybe it is just another one of those things that can only happen in KY.
We celebrated Todd's B-day Sunday with some Cincinnati chili and another one of Val's famous strawberry cakes. I got a little mixed up making the chili. When directions said "one Tbs. ground chili, I pulled out the cayenne peppper and put in one Tbs. Then later, the directions said "1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper." I looked through the spices and found that there is a difference between ground chili and powdered cayenne. I tasted my mixture, and realized that this batch was going to be a little unique. The family was very gracious, but I noticed that everyone was using lots of spaghetti and cheese. Happy birthday, Todd. The cake was fantastic,. Marc actually baked it-perfectly, and Val put it together.
Next time we are there we are having some cheese conies. You know, tiny hot dogs, tiny buns, tons of chili, cheese and onions. I'll bring a bottle of mouthwash for afterward too.
The dead bird... None of the "funny" boys did that one, Dad, and I hate to think of the state the bird would have been in had it been sitting in septic pipes for a while...
No, I think this all happened when we got back from some kind of trip. The bird had made it inside the house, seen a heavenly white birdbath, and couldn't make it back out. It is quite a slippery slope.
This also makes me think of the time that we (the kids) put the pool solar blanket out on the grass to dry and left it for hours. When we went to roll it up, it looked like a UFO had landed in our yard. HUGE circle of dead grass.
Wow, Matt... quite a theory but I don't think we had been on a trip.
Yup, that brown circle was huge.
Remember the time you guys played the trick on Mary Ann with the (which one... I know....) when Matt couldn't "find" his shoe and you used ketchup to make it look like he'd cut his foot?
I don't remember WHY Mary Ann had his shoe, though... Some kind of joke??
This wasn't a septic bird--you would have been able to tell that! I don't know much about plumbing, but aren't house plumbing pipes vented somehow? Perhaps---
After all we have done to Mary Ann, I am not sure why she likes us.
Hey Marc Happy 15th. How comw my birthday cake didn't look as good as this one I MAD. :) Marc I didn't get to see the photo. U need to send me a picture. Todd happy Birthday too.
since i just check this blog for new posts and don't look at the comment count, i missed this whole fascinating/disturbing bird in the toilet conversation. i'm disturbed thinking about amy disturbed after urinating on a bird in her parents toilet...wow.
speaking of bathroom humor, there is a new post up about a little gig i had going last week...
Sure, Paul, step into the conversation after a couple of months only to advertise. Isn't that some kind of offense, Marc?
Just kidding, Frandsey.
Farcles, I thought you all were taking a new picture for this blog.... last week. Did you, or were you just lying to me about it to get me off the phone?
we need to get a recent comments sidebar on this blog so we can see the latest gossip at a glance without clicking then scrolling till your finger gets rawl...
Oh, we have plans. I pitched my idea to A.J. and he is sold. He calls the idea a mockumentary series, but we might just have to name them the Risenmay Rawlumentaries.
It is going to involve memorable moments in Risenmay family history, told by those who experienced them and acted out (dramatizations) by those that had nothing to do with the experience.
So, lets brainstorm some of these ideas:
Dad and Franseypants Drive to the Hopital (asking for Amy's hand)
Dad Rides with Grandpa Joe
A.J. and the Go-Gurt
Farcles Cries Freedom
Squall Dude's post-mission brake-down (a.k.a. Farcles and the powerbook).
1. Keeping Nephi awake for two days 2. Cat survival testing 3. Packing for trips to Florida 4. Mom panicking when Matt called like he was the motel manger and we had too many (incuding foster kids) in our rooms. "You will have to talk to my husband about that!" 5. Matt and I torturing Mary Ann's Darby when we were "Home Teaching." 6. Throwing Amy's cat on the roof. 7. Mark Jenkins and the church bell. Actually, any story of Mark Jenkins and my boys. 8. Holding our noses as we drove by the dairy on "Pleasant Ridge Road." 9. Matt denying Mom was the King of the Forest at VA middle school.
Farcles looks like a little rat in his license photo. I love it. Congratulations Farcles, it won't be long before you can take Erika on a hot group date.
89 comments:
heeeeeeeeeeyyy!
who is that disturbing guy in the background of mom's cake photo?
Ohhhhhhhh that cake looks sooooo goooood.
Hey Farcs, congrats, with lots of rats.
Oh, Farc, you really came through this time. You must be so much more responsible now that you are 15... it seems that we can count on you to be a regular contributor to the blogging action of this family? ??? ?????
That cake brings back so many memories. My mouth is watering, and I have a craving. Perhaps I'll have to get the ingredients and invite some people over... because goodness knows I can't just make that whole monster for just us! Oooooohhhh... I think I just had a great idea!
Your permit picture is great! So much personality packed into just two square inches! Tell us how the "learning" is going.
Thanks for the new post... the LaBamba was getting a bit nauseating.
I don't have the real permit yet, that is just a piece of paper with all that stuff on it. the real permit is coming in the mail in a couple of days.
yes the cake was quite scrumptious, I should have taken a picture of the enchiladas dad made. they were quite good too.
So Farcles... is your temporary permit printed as a mirror image, or is that just the way it scanned.
And what about all my burning questions for my brothers that I posted on the last post... (I'll refresh your memory below:
Farc... we need you to pontificate about your new driving experiences, and what it means to be a 15-year-old.
Todd... how about a few thoughts about KFC and what it means to work in a capitalist society?
AJ... what about the highs and lows of tipping in the restaurant sector of Boise?
Paul Michael... are you even alive?
Matt... life with a Caddie is __________ (fill in the blank).
I am a very cautious driver so there are no stories, but it is very fun to drive. the real card with color came in today, it is beautiful.
Amy I answered your question in the last post: Fantabulous
I did have to make a slight repair to the Caddie today (the first in a series of many) involving velcro and 5-minute epoxy.
My glove box has been acting up (broken latch), and when we set off a nice big explosion this morning, it must have knocked open the glove box and the light inside turned on and ran down my battery. Needless to say, that light will never turn on again...
Todd,
Your pose behind Mom with her cake makes me want to slap you.
Didn't chewy have glove box issues???...
Glad to see you are alive Matt... your lack of blogging presence has been worrying me and Paul.
You too, dad... what is up with ya'll?? I feel a little piece of emptiness when there is no blogging action going on...
Sorry matt, I have managed to thoroughly disgust myself with that picture. They decided to punish my need to be annoying by actually using it.
As for KFC, I was in the back washing dishes one late night, when the whole irony of it hit me. It was almost as though I was going back to my roots by working at KFC. Oh and it is now KFC/Long John Silvers, so I come home, reeking of fish, shrimp, and flounder, along with the already pleasant smells of KFC. Dad and farcles stopped in to see me, and one of the first things dad did was curl his nose, lean in close to me, and whisper, "This place smells awful" with all the disgust he could muster.
So that is where I am at, and I will blog more for the sake of Amy's well being.
KFC and Long John's in the same establishment. Sounds a little "fishy" to me. He hah uugggghhhhh.
Sorry
Sorry
you should smell where todd works, it smells aweful. fish and fried food are not a good mixture. todd has to make sure he doesn't eat too much before he goes so he doesn't feel like ralphing the whole time he works.
matt it's ok, just don't do it again.
ever
Farcles... is that a new rule?? It can be, you know...
Toddus... thank you for the report and descriptive writing. Such a picture you paint... lips curling, etc. I felt like I was there.
School starts soon, yes? How goes football training? What do Todd and Marc anticipate from this year at school??
Farc... great colorful permit... I only wish you could keep that delightful photo of yourself for more than a year... it is a treasure.
i love farcles cheese on the color photo. only someone as happy as marc could muster that sort of smile after sitting in the dmv for hours waiting for his license...
disturbing todd...disturbing.
Todd has been working hard, and sometimes the conditions are awful, and sometimes he comes home smelling like fish/chicken grease, but he really doesn't complain, and he has worked some extra shifts. He liked the $$$ when he finally got a check. He is going to set up and account, and learn to check. I think he is working too hard to spend it on someting friviolous.
Marc has been earning some bucks doing some neighborhood yard/garden work.
Today Marc and I went on a driving practice, and he did really good. Four-way stops, four-way gos, parking in an underground parking lot, parking in a busy grocery store, stop lights, experiencing how idiotic other people are (no signals, sudden lane changes, etc.). He is really cautious, which sometimes gets some dirty looks from other drivers, but we are certainly okay with that.
Tonight we had a new experiment on the grill: dutch oven lasagna. Doesn't heat up the kitchen. It didn't reach Mom's high lasagna standards, but it was a fun change, and I didn't even overcook it.
We don't have to tell the boys to go to bed now they are exhausted with f-ball practice.
Driving practice sure sounds fun. Aaaahhhh... fun memories of mom gripping the chicken bars and the side edge of her seat. I remember the first time I was honked at... I felt so extremely sheepish. Good thing that practice makes for better driving!
Todd... good job with being a responsible, working man. Bravo! Glad you've gotten that first check... you're already saving for your VALUABLE retirement money by paying your social security taxes (ha, ha...).
Any football stories/predictions for the team?? Hope both of you boys are getting the rest you need!
Yes, first driving lessons...
Mom was so tightly wound in the front seat when I was first driving that as I was going down Jersey Ridge, a bird took flight in a tree 20 feet away and she went rigid and started cursing at me while I tried to find out what I had done wrong.
Okay, maybe that is stretching the truth a bit...
So how are the two-a-days boys?
Marc revealed to me the fact that he feels a little more comfortable driving with me because I don't seem as nervous as Mom does.
It is kind of weird. Marc isn't able to drive unless he is with a licensed adult. My DL doesn't permit me to drive. So yesterday we were in a mutual dependency situation.
So you're saying it is a symbiotic relationship??
No, I would describe it more as an interaction between two different organisms living in close physical association, typically to the advantage of both.
Hmmmm.... I see the difference.... I suppose, then, that your driving relationship with Marc would most adequately be defined as "rawl".
A most important distinction to make....
Hey Marc, since you posted your full name, address, date of birth, and most of your driver's license number, I am going to make a valiant attempt to steal your identity.
Too late.. .I already set up 3 credit cards and a mortgage in his name...
curses.
good thing this blog isn't accessable to the general public.
Get Mr. Wilson off of here. That's just creepy.
how's this
Baldknobbers! What in the world!
Farcles... creepy doesn't describe it. I don't think it has a word.
Who's Jamie??
I don't know who jamie is.
Check your profile, yo. Who's Jamie??
Finally Paul Michael has a presence on this blog. Thanks for including him, Farc.
Isn't Jamie the best lawyer in town?
I almost flipped thinking that Paulus the Squallus had actually commented on the blog.
My Mac Book Pro comes in today, hooray!!!
sorry to inspire the false happiness.
jamie is a kind ladie who likes to wear green hats
Isn't ladie something you call a dog? Jamie sounds like a lady to me.
Or maybe ladie is what you call a Scottish kid...
I realized that after I wrote and it turns out she is a sottish school boy, so I left it. So after much deligation it has been decided, that she is definately a ladie.
Farc... I can't take you seriously with that picture by your comments.
Marc and I went out for driving lessons Saturday. We worked on some multi-lane roads, making left turns without stoplights, 4-way-stops, 4-way-gos, parking at Walmarc, and Home Depot on a busy day. We came to a conclusion that most drivers in this town are idiots, that they take a yellow light as a challenge, pedestrians don't have a chance, and bicyclers? What the heck are they doing on our roads? Marc did a great job, and only got a couple of rude hand gestures. This week we are going to work on parallel parking. Pray for us.
By the way, we just got a dsl upgrade which is amazingly fast, and we don't have to wait forever buffering your videos or to enlarge pictures, so for sure keep everything coming. I had a hard time convincing Val that we really absolutely needed something faster, but she sure loves the movies of the kids, so send more so I can prove that the faster speed was necessary.
I downloaded "Plan Nine from Outer Space," the greatest Sci-fi movie of all time. The dialogue is unparalled, special effects: way ahead of their time. It has a beautiful character, "Vampira," who has something to do with the movie, but we haven't figured it out yet, but she is kind of cute in a vampirish sort of way. The movie has three aliens flying four space ships (obviously held up by strings) which make an amazing amout of noise although they are out in space. They are going to take over the world using special ionizing guns which affect the pituitary glands of recenty dead humans, bringing them back to life so that they can do their bidding, which seems to be to scare the heck ot of humans who are still alive. The aliens are doing all of this because the human race is on the verge of discovering a new weapon which threatens the destruction of the entire universe. Now that is one powerful weapon!
If you enjoy great sci-fi you just have to get this movie. Or better yet-come and visit us and watch it with us.
Farcles, don't let the had gestures get you down. Oh, and use the horn with great unselfishness.
Dad, only in our family would watching the worst movie of all time pass as quality family time together. Let's watch it over Christmas break!
But I feel like I've already watched it...
Good luck with the paralleling, Farc.
Did anyone/everyone get to see the BYU/AZ game on Saturday?? Our new guys look pretty good...
Paul and I are trying to line up a babysitter for the UCLA game this Saturday. We request your prayers...
I just finished HP #7! After all the hype I was a little disappointed, and I may have to go back and read a couple of the last chapters to get everything straight. A lot happened in just a few chapters. I thought that the last chapter was a nice touch. (Sniff, sniff)
I enjoyed it all, but I still think it is a bit of a "Lord of the Rings" rip-off. Gollum was much more fun than Dobby.
I was a little disappointed in the increasing vulgarity and drinking in the series, but boys will be boys, uh-huh?
I did appreciate Ms. Rawling, and how her books became more complex and interesting. Book seven started with action instead of the Hogwarts Express and house sorting again. I hope in the last movie they include the animated suits of armor. That is a fun image. And I loved MDougal's "Charge!"
Sweetness, Dad.
It should be a good show when it becomes a movie. Kind of fitting how it all ended at Hoggy Warts, eh?
Glad you enjoyed, dad. It got hard to put down at the end, huh??
We received a DVD with Alison's Brandstown pictures. I was a little disappointed. Not one picture of Grandpa Joe spinning out in his new car, or passing you guys on the way to Olive Garden, or the look of sheer terror on my face,
Most pictures were sweet, sentamental pictures of Pat and his grandkids. There were a couple of goofy pictures of our family, mostly in the group shots. Only one picture of me--somehow someone got one of the distorted iPhoto pictures we made of me some time ago. I don't know how they got it, and what it had to do with or wonderful reunion. I am sure that none of you had anything to do with it.
Maybe it was there to remind me of how much fun I was having.
AJ, Chelsea and I dropped Val off at Boise International yesterday for her week with Alison. Lots of fun. AJ left the lights on at the Macys parking while we were waiting for Chelsea to return some stuff, and ran our battery down. A couple of ladies came by in a Mercedes who had cables but they weren't long enough. Then a parking lot security guy came up to help. He didn't have cables, but said he had a jumper box "back at the office." We must have waited 15 min. for him to return, and he came back with lights flashing like he was chasing down terrorists or drug runners. Then after filling out a full page form with name, ID and license numbers, etc., declaring that I would not hold them responsible if they damaged my car while they gave our battery a jump, he finally got us going again.
Cool stories.
Did anyone see the presidential debate last night?
Is it just me or is Romney the only one offering real solutions to real problems. Gullianni refuses to talk about anything but his "success" in New York... no actual plans for changing things. McCain is always stuck defending himself over the immigration bill. All the rest of the guys just talk about what America should be like, but don't explain how they plan to get there.
It was a frustrating debate for me.
I wonder how many of Romney's $,$$$,$$$,$$$ are invested in oil? I am sick of Bush/Cheney oil connections, and the fact that oil company's have had record profits this past year. I will continue to be suspicious of a candidate who continues to support Bush's surge (mission not accomplished).
Newsweek had an article this week about bringing back the military draft. This father of three boys who could be affected by a draft gets very concerned about this war which is only solidified our perceptiion as the "Great Satan."
Dad,
Do you think that leaving Iraq will make your boys safer in the long run? We all know that things are going to get worse and worse, but pulling out of Iraq seems like it would only speed up the process.
Worse and worse for who? Maybe I am a little naive, but it seems like we are just getting more and more involved in a tribal/religious civil war. Why do we have to be the world's policemen? Lots of ethnic wars going on in Africa, but whoops--no oil there.
Do you really think that our efforts in Iraq have done anything to decrease the threat of terrorism? We sure have help spur their road-side bomb R and D.
Happy Birthday to Toddus!!!
Oh, I remember when you were just a little tyke. I would change your diaper... you loved baby powder... I'd sprinkle some on your cute little bottom... and you'd smile...
Congrats, AJ, on a great win for Oregon last week. Hope moving back to Eugene goes well... keep us updated on your new semester!
Amy,
You sounded just like Dad talking about baby powder on Todd's little bottom.
A.J.,
I remember having to wipe your blblblbl after you went "stinky". Can you believe that?
It seems like I used to be the big brother, but now A.J., Todd and Marc are all so big, they are more like "friend" brothers than "little" brothers. You have probably had the same experience, Frandseypants. True?
I can still beat the stuffin' out of you all though.
Really, Matt?? Is THAT who I sounded like?? Seems like he remembers powdering all of our bottoms. Funny how I never remember having any baby powder in the house...
It is fun to see each of you little bros evolve into your own person. Makes me feel old, and I wonder where all the time has gone. Each of you is considerate, thoughtful, and smart. You are paving your own way, and I love to see your unique personalities do it in such different ways.
I have a feeling that some things will never change, though. The average age of the 5 of you drops back to Maysville times when you're all together. Case-in-point = Matt's "boys weekend" in July. How old is he?
What is so juvenile and wrong with a "boy's weekend"? I still have never flushed a toilet with my foot in it...
Shooting each other with small plastic balls, gaming, fireworks and playing basketball and bongo are all healthy ways to unwind!
Hear, hear!
Wow... good memory, Matt.
Here's a question that has been ruminating in my mind ever since the Pleasant Ridge Days.
Does anyone else remember this?? I went to mom and dad's bathroom, and... used it. When I went to flush, there was a dead bird in the water. No kidding. I hadn't looked before sitting. It made me sick to think I urinated on a dead bird.
But really... how in the lblblblb did that happen??? The window was closed. It was a pretty medium sized bird. I don't think it could have come up through the pipes. And I KNOW it didn't come from me.
Any ideas?? Engineering minds? I still have flashbacks and think about it often...
Sorry... Matt's mention of the past and toilets flashed it back again...
Too bad it was a bird--not a cute little kitten.
But the bird in the toilet story is one of those quandaries we may never understand in this lifetime. Did one of our "funny boys" put it there? Is it possible for a dead bird to be in the house's plumbing and just pop (no, not poop) up? How could it have entered the plumbing system in the first place? Was the toilet seat down? Are you sure the windows were down? Even if a bird was somehow flying around the house and decided to have a little drink, why would that kill it? Dogs do it all the time. Questions, questions. Maybe it is just another one of those things that can only happen in KY.
We celebrated Todd's B-day Sunday with some Cincinnati chili and another one of Val's famous strawberry cakes. I got a little mixed up making the chili. When directions said "one Tbs. ground chili, I pulled out the cayenne peppper and put in one Tbs. Then later, the directions said "1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper." I looked through the spices and found that there is a difference between ground chili and powdered cayenne. I tasted my mixture, and realized that this batch was going to be a little unique. The family was very gracious, but I noticed that everyone was using lots of spaghetti and cheese.
Happy birthday, Todd.
The cake was fantastic,. Marc actually baked it-perfectly, and Val put it together.
Don't let dad fool you, that was a wonderful batch of cincinatti chili.
Next time we are there we are having some cheese conies. You know, tiny hot dogs, tiny buns, tons of chili, cheese and onions. I'll bring a bottle of mouthwash for afterward too.
The dead bird... None of the "funny" boys did that one, Dad, and I hate to think of the state the bird would have been in had it been sitting in septic pipes for a while...
No, I think this all happened when we got back from some kind of trip. The bird had made it inside the house, seen a heavenly white birdbath, and couldn't make it back out. It is quite a slippery slope.
This also makes me think of the time that we (the kids) put the pool solar blanket out on the grass to dry and left it for hours. When we went to roll it up, it looked like a UFO had landed in our yard. HUGE circle of dead grass.
Good times....
Wow, Matt... quite a theory but I don't think we had been on a trip.
Yup, that brown circle was huge.
Remember the time you guys played the trick on Mary Ann with the (which one... I know....) when Matt couldn't "find" his shoe and you used ketchup to make it look like he'd cut his foot?
I don't remember WHY Mary Ann had his shoe, though... Some kind of joke??
This wasn't a septic bird--you would have been able to tell that! I don't know much about plumbing, but aren't house plumbing pipes vented somehow? Perhaps---
After all we have done to Mary Ann, I am not sure why she likes us.
I'm still trying to figure out why you insisted on using mom and dad's bathroom, Amy...
It's kind of like what Brinlee does.
Must be an oldest child/only daughter entitlement complex, or something.
Either that, or the "boy's bathroom" was unbearable.
Perhaps it was a septic bird. I just remember being completely grossed out. Does anyone remember who ended up removing it??
Hey Marc Happy 15th. How comw my birthday cake didn't look as good as this one I MAD. :) Marc I didn't get to see the photo. U need to send me a picture. Todd happy Birthday too.
Marc, just saw the picture, Looks like you just ate a HOHO. An they let you get a permit?
It must have been Mary Ann that cleaned up the septic bird.
I remember the time Mary Ann made me clean up Nephi's "mess" from the white carpet in the living room. Completely not my fault, and completely unfair.
Never did like that dog...
Didn't like Nephi? My only question was: "What was Nephi doing in the house?" We just can't leave you kids alone for a second.
since i just check this blog for new posts and don't look at the comment count, i missed this whole fascinating/disturbing bird in the toilet conversation. i'm disturbed thinking about amy disturbed after urinating on a bird in her parents toilet...wow.
speaking of bathroom humor, there is a new post up about a little gig i had going last week...
Sure, Paul, step into the conversation after a couple of months only to advertise. Isn't that some kind of offense, Marc?
Just kidding, Frandsey.
Farcles, I thought you all were taking a new picture for this blog.... last week. Did you, or were you just lying to me about it to get me off the phone?
we need to get a recent comments sidebar on this blog so we can see the latest gossip at a glance without clicking then scrolling till your finger gets rawl...
Or ya'll could just post something new more often, instead of shooting for 100 comments every blblblbl post.
i like your style ahmy.
Paul, I figured that after last Wednesday, a little scrolling wouldn't even come close to rawling that finger of yours.....
we're shootin' for 100 and we aren't ashamed of it
New Year's Day in Oregon? Really? We gotta make some plans. We are not going to let the days go by listening to the women talk about scrapbooking.
Oh, we have plans. I pitched my idea to A.J. and he is sold. He calls the idea a mockumentary series, but we might just have to name them the Risenmay Rawlumentaries.
It is going to involve memorable moments in Risenmay family history, told by those who experienced them and acted out (dramatizations) by those that had nothing to do with the experience.
So, lets brainstorm some of these ideas:
Dad and Franseypants Drive to the Hopital (asking for Amy's hand)
Dad Rides with Grandpa Joe
A.J. and the Go-Gurt
Farcles Cries Freedom
Squall Dude's post-mission brake-down (a.k.a. Farcles and the powerbook).
Any other ideas?
how did you hear about the freedom story?
there's also the fox pee man story
the stressful ride to mary annes house where dad calls AJ a D*** fool
the arabian ambush on squalldude when he got back from his mission
and the majical screwdriver.
1. Keeping Nephi awake for two days
2. Cat survival testing
3. Packing for trips to Florida
4. Mom panicking when Matt called like he was the motel manger and we had too many (incuding foster kids) in our rooms. "You will have to talk to my husband about that!"
5. Matt and I torturing Mary Ann's Darby when we were "Home Teaching."
6. Throwing Amy's cat on the roof.
7. Mark Jenkins and the church bell.
Actually, any story of Mark Jenkins and my boys.
8. Holding our noses as we drove by the dairy on "Pleasant Ridge Road."
9. Matt denying Mom was the King of the Forest at VA middle school.
Farcles looks like a little rat in his license photo. I love it. Congratulations Farcles, it won't be long before you can take Erika on a hot group date.
Post a Comment