Saturday, October 20, 2007

AJs 5.4 seconds of fame

This is the story of how AJ got on national telivision, through his eyes.

You can see me on ESPN College Gameday. From the seconds 14-21, the camera pans past me twice. First I am in a yellow shirt poking my green hat with a yellow "O" at the camera. Then the camera comes left, and I am giving the cameraman a manly fist pump and you can see my entire pasty white right arm.



A few of my buddies and I woke up at the butt crack of dawn to save our spots in the Gameday crowd. We had one objective, and we were going to do whatever it took to accomplish it. The marching band was given orders to hold back the crowd, but they had no idea what they were up against. As the cameras started rolling, my heart started thumping. Go back to the clip and notice how everyone on the front row is a member of the marching band, except for a couple of rats like me who forced our way past the little musicians and landed a spot on national t.v. Also notice the repulsion on the trumpet player’s face to my left, as he realizes that the only thing between his thigh and my giblets was a few layers of clothing. Hey, nobody said it would be easy. You can't make it out well, but he made quite the struggle to steal my seconds of stardom. Once I established my place in line with the band, the two trumpet players thought sandwiching me with all their might would make me feel uncomfortable, but they were wrong. I lunged at the camera twice, and gave my greatest effort to be seen.

Later that afternoon Chelsey, a few friends and I headed for our seats. Once we got to the gate, chelsey realized that her ticket had fallen out of her back pocket. After retracing our steps she was nearly in tears, and I proposed that we try a little something I had up my sleeve. Like I did with Paul F. in a BYU V.s. Boise St. game, I managed to sneak her in with one ticket, and we enjoyed the whole game together.
Though we lost the game by a few inches, and I violated a member of our marching band, September 27, 2007 was one of the best days of my life.

END

43 comments:

Allan said...

And we thought we were wasting tuition $$$$.

Amy F said...

You look like a crazed duck, AJ. Truly something I can be proud of. Nice way to show your school spirit.

Do you always sit right by the marching band?? Fun place to be. College games are a part of the college experience... I'm glad you're taking advantage of the important "opportunities" available to you...

Amy F said...

Thanks for deciding to stop being a maggot, Farc. You're rawl after all.

Allan said...

I have been going through those boxes of old pictures, Amy. You had better be nice to your daddy.

paul said...

pure emotion showed as you tore your hat from your head in a show of support for your quackers.

Toddus said...

Let it be known that farcles is still a maggot, It was I who put the post up. According to aj however, I have done it badly and/or wrong, thus making me a maggot as well. Give me a break though, it was my first post after all.

farcles said...

sorry it took so long to put on the good post AJ.

MBLI said...

A fine story indeed. Chills ran down my spine as a read about the exasperated trombonists that tried to bring your noble cause to a halt. My heart leapt with elation as I read of your daring plot to get Chelsey and yourself into the game with not two, but one game ticket.
It was nice to have a guest writer put up a post. No offense to Farcles, I appreciate your efforts to keep the family informed. But I'll be honest, you've become complacent with your job. It's time to step it up a notch, add a little literary flair, and make your family proud.

Matt said...

Farcles,

If you would only write your posts in the same fashion that you word-sculpt your exploits to me over the phone. Paul is right, what is missing from your posts is a "lo and behold", or a "and to my dismay" here and there (something you are entirely capable of).

A.J.,

Many CHONS to you. That was very glorious, and you could not describe your arm-pump or your efforts to get on the camera as anything but manly.... truly manly.

Since I am home today with a barfing Mary Ann and sick kids, I may have to dig up some ol Stinkle vids and make a small movie to post on rawl street.

Matt said...

Todd,

Unleash your video.... NOW!

Anyone who has direct contact with Todd and reads this post is forthwith required to punch him randomly until he posts the movie he told me about.

Aaron Joseph said...

Matt, you are right. I took to little time and left out some great phrases. Give me a break though, the writer in me is exhausted after midterms.

Everyone watch USC v Oregon this week on FSN (Fox Sports Net). If we win this one, we stay in championship contention.

How about those cougs. I can see a slightly less glamorous repeat of last year. Two losses wont get BYU back to #15 because they have an average QB, but I definately see a sub 20 ranking at the end of the year.

Aaron Joseph said...

Farcles your reighn of limelight terror is over! Todd unleash your video!

paul said...

funny how paul risenmay has become 'paul'. the flowery comment from oct. 22 was not me...it was prisen posing as me.

paul said...

when in doubt, just look for my half-naked brother and me for confirmation...

MBLI said...

Paul F., in all honesty, I'm a novice blogger and I haven't attempted to find a way to change the name google assigned to me, nor have I endeavored to add a sweet avatar of myself half naked. All in due time, Paul. All in due time.

Amy F said...

Your commentary is moving. I felt as though I was there... although I'm glad I wasn't that trumpet player.

Don't ever forget this moment, AJ. Hold on to these milli-seconds of stardom. They were life-defining, character-molding, and soul-changing. I challenge you to live up to the man this video shows you to be. Passionate. Motivated. Invested, even (although not quite "Fully").

Allan said...

"Giblets," AJ? You were just lucky you weren't next to a hostile trombonist. Labomba wouldn't have let you cross the line.
"Butt crack of dawn?" That journalism class you took certainly has come in handy.
USC V Oregon on Fox. Time? And it looks like we won't be distracted by a BYU game this weekend.
If there is any question regarding PR or PF. Look for capitals. I think Frandseypant's shift keys are malfunctional. Good to have you contributing, *P*aul. Glad you can occasionally work us into your busy social schedule.

Matt said...

Squall Dude!

I am becoming somewhat accustomed to you commenting these days.

So is anyone making preliminary plans for a Las Vegas Bowl trip this year? I am beginning to give it some thought...

Matt said...

Angela will likely be departing for Utah a week or so in advance of myself for Christmastime (with someone driving with her, yes). I was going to fly directly to SLC, but I could see a potential flight to Las Vegas in the plans especially if anyone else might be there and driving back up to or through Utah.

A.J., Todd and Marc, what about driving down, just the three of you, and I meet up with you in Vegas... maybe picking up the Squalliard on the way?

Fransen...???

MBLI said...

Good thinking, Matt. You guys should make plans now if you want to go to the Vegas Bowl. I'd say there's a 90% BYU is in it again. I could probably get us some sweet tickets through Cougar United.

MBLI said...

This is Squall Dude by the way.

Aaron Joseph said...

I might be making plans to head down to either New Orleans or Pasadina, depending on the success of my ducks. If I can't afford that,which will probably be the case, las vegas sounds like fun. If oregon loses every game for the rest of the season we could see a repeat matchup in LVegas.

Sports illustrated predicted the Ducks in the championship game along with ESPN.com. I just hope we aren't victims of the top 5 upsets this year. The usc v oregon game is on Fox Sports Network, dad, and it comes on at 12:30.

Matt said...

Fwandsen, Farcles, Toddus...??? Las Vegas? Dec. 22????

farcles said...

Matt, I'm not going to lie, that would be wonderful.
JV won 55-0
Varsity victory pending.

Amy F said...

Congrats on another V, Farcles. Your team is whooping this season... as predicted.

Yours, too... Ajus.

Paul R... you need to change your name to Squall Dude. That would be rawl.

I know we're probably heading to Utah on the 20th. Knowing the Frandsen (with a "d" by the way, Matt), there will be a full Suburban going down to Vegas.

farcles said...

blblblblblblbl yeah!

farcles said...

pardon my language.

Allan said...

If you read this in time:

AJ called and told us that he and some buddies got up at 5AM today, and were third in line for tickets for their game. They will be at approx 30 yard line on FRONT ROW. He will be wearing cammies and the wacko next to him will have his face painted. The game is ESPN @ 12:30 Pacific.

Aaron Joseph said...

It was a glorious game. I got to hug Dixon afterwards.

Allan said...

Did any of the rest of you see AJ at the Oregon/USC game Saturday? He made us proud-again on nation-witde TV. GREAT game, and AJ and buddies were having a great time. I feel sorry for any opposing team that has to play in that stadium.

Amy F said...

Tell us when AJ got camera time. We weren't able to watch it... but we recorded it. We could fast forward to his "scenes." Hopefully no giblets are in question this time...

Aaron Joseph said...

College Gameday is coming back to Eugene this weekend to show the OREGON VS ARIZONA STATE game!!!

Aaron Joseph said...

This is the best year of my life!

Amy F said...

AJ... don't get down on yourself... it's bound to get better than this for you, buddy.

paul said...

his thigh and my giblets...i love it. i didn't read aj's commentary the first time since i think the video came up first.

anyway: to set the record straight. i am happy to be mistook for paul risenmay any day of the week. it makes me looks smarter and more observant...

farcles said...

A couple of my friends that are duck fans came up to me today and told me they saw you on TV. Well done

paul said...

we're running out of spots for your music on our playlist.

make your suggestions here

Matt said...

I saw A.J. on T.V. I was trying to explain to Brinlee how momentous it was:

"Look, it's your Uncle A.J.!"

"Oh. But where are you, daddy?"

"I'm here with you."

"No, daddy. On the T.V. Where are you on the T.V."

"I'm not on the T.V. because I am here with you. A.J. is at that game right now."

"But where are you?"

........

Anyway, nice goatee Ajus, and was that a polynesian war face you were making?

I remember him being shown around minute 12 or 13 of quarter ?. Just check all four around that time on the gameclock and you will find him.

paul said...

Amy here on Paul's account. Like the new avetar??

Matt said...

The other one was better.

paul said...

thank you matt

Aaron Joseph said...

creepy

Amy F said...

So Ajus... we recorded ESPN's college gameday. Did you get on? Any idea where in the program?? I'm hoping to see a crazy duck that I happen to be related to.

Hope you enjoyed your gameday. Any stories?? You can leave out any mention of giblets.

And what about the high school games this weekend?